Pages - Menu

Monday, January 17, 2011

AutoCrit, Editing and the RED Pen


I read other blogs allot and quite recently I stumbled upon a great blog that recommended...


AutoCrit


An editing software.  Now you can try it our free, but you can only paste a minimum amount of words. You can also purchase a package. So it is what it says it is. It is a critique software. I tried it and at first I liked it but when I looked into it, it can do nothing that I can't do myself with a red pen. So I sat down and looked through these specific redundancies, words and cliché phrases I should avoid and piled up a list for you guys to enjoy. I highlight each word in a different color and I find that it REALLY helps for the sentences to be smooth and not overdone. For example adverbs are needed. We should not take away all adverbs yet they should be used sparingly.  So here is...

THE LIST

Convict Telling Words:
Search for past & present

Saw
Heard
Ate
Felt/feel
Thought
Smelled
Scared
Anger
Happy
Annoyed


Adverbs Period. (words ending with ly) such as...

Softly
Gently
Happily
Nicely
Perfectly

ING sentences. Turn them to the NOW. For example...

Staring at him, he grabbed at his head.
He stared at him and grabbed on to his head.
(Weird example but you get the idea)

AND

This and that and that and that. Stop with too many ands. Connect sentences with action instead.

Extra Pest Words to Avoid (not always!)

Could
Had
Have
It/There
Just/Then
Knew/Know
Look
Maybe
WAS (This is a big one)
Notice

I found from my own writing that these are the words that you should be most looking for and perfecting on your last edit (and the first). I placed my text into the AutoCrit and it said that my writing isn't overflowing with these words which was great to know, but I certainly got a lot of help from compiling this list and creating a diagram for every chapter on which words are overused and descriptions I should avoid. Happy Writing! Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. This is excellent info! I'm going to make a note of this for when I'm revising. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Cheyanne! I am glad if it helps you out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and I agree, but I still like using the AutoCrit for abusing Cliches, dialogue tags, and repeated phrases, which you tend to overlook on your own. Many new writers aren't aware that their work is riddled with them...

    Hmmm, what "great" blog did you find the post on? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dark Angel, Thanks for your comment :) I actually really enjoy all the great posts on your blog! I think they are very eye opening and I love the interviews with agents. Sorry...I wasn't sure if I should credit your blog? I can paste a link, let me know? I've been reading allot of your posts since I have been revising for a publisher...and yes autocrit is helpfull, but it isn't human IMO. I agree with the cliches. sometimes you read over and over and you are totally blind. You can't see them. Happens. Happens to all of us, lol. :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey good posts. There's a free version of AutoCrit at http://www.prowritingaid.com
    I think thats its new. Says its still in testing.

    ReplyDelete