Pages - Menu

Thursday, April 29, 2010

E-Publishing. E-Books and thoughts.

When I think of E-publishing my novel I literally just want to scream. For some reason it seems worse off to me than not publishing at all. Maybe its because I think that no body will really get to read it or maybe its because it can't ever be a paperback again. My poor book. In some ways E-publishing is freedom for many writers. Some novels have such specific genres that writers know they won't be fit for the market. E-publishing is much easier than vanity. Its faster and you have better chances in finding a fit pressm but is it nearly as satisfactory? I don't know to be honest...Some authors I know decided to just go the E route because of fear of rejections and some because they realized their book wasn't fit for publishing. What about you? What is your take on E-Publishing? Would you consider to Epublish your book or would you rather get published by a small press?

Personally I favor reading real books over E-books. I don't have a kindle so E-books I can only read over the monitor and the brightness just sort of distracts me from the story. I like the feel of real pages, covers and even the scent of holding an actual book in my hands. And hey, maybe one day it will be my book I will be holding. So pick one..E-book or hard cover? Which would you rather read?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I went with an e-publisher that has print-on-demand. People can buy the ebook, and have fu with their Kindle, or they can buy a print copy, and get to hold it.

    So, I still get to do autographs and all the fun stuff, but I also got a publisher that didn't want to change my book.

    Because that was my biggest fear; that a big house would have problems with my book. My character's younger than most paranormal romance, but I didn't write it to be young adult. And there's some darkness to it that isn't in mainstream PR. Having a publisher that didn't flinch at underage drinking or light bondage was very refreshing, and worth some of the things I miss from having a big house publisher.

    So, e-publishing isn't all that bad. It depends on who you go with, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Personally I favor reading real books over E-books. I don't have a kindle so E-books I can only read over the monitor and the brightness just sort of distracts me from the story. I like the feel of real pages, covers and even the scent of holding an actual book in my hands."

    If you are reading the book on a computer screen, the experience is completely inferior to print. Even a laptop is clumsier to carry around with you, and as you say the backlighting is distracting and also hurts your eyes over time.

    I use a Sony Pocket Reader, and while it's true that you don't have real pages to turn or the feel of a book cover, I find those things are easily dispensed with and not at all necessary to losing myself in a story. My reader is more portable than paper books, not less, and I can be carrying a lot of books with me at once. It's not backlit so I don't have the problems of reading from a computer screen.

    I rather strongly suggest picking up a reader of some kind. It's likely to change your opinion about the e-book medium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raven: That actually sounds pretty good and unfortunatley some books do have a very narrow market :)

    Brian: Yeah, I think I will do that in the near future. Of course its more comfertable than a real book, and you are right, you can carry hundreds in one device :)

    ReplyDelete