Pages - Menu

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ok Guys I am not one to buy a book because of the "buzz" on it, but my sister was reading this book so I decided to give it a shot. First thing I noticed was that it is written in first person present, which was very unusual for me since I am not a great fan of present perspectives in novels. Eventually as I read the book I got more used to it but I still couldn't help thinking that I could have perceived it better if it were in third. Speaking of perspectives, that are for another blog post. Anyways despite that fact it made me start experimenting with present in my own writing though I still prefer past tense. Anyways back to the book and the plot. I thought the idea was interesting and well executed, but it really reminded me of this one old movie with Arnold S. in it called 'running men' or something like that. It was different of course but the film was about a group of people in the future that were sent to a reality TV show (an arena) where bidders bid on them and these men came in to try to kill them. It just linked to that in my mind. I wasn't a fan of the movie but those two just clicked together. So I did like the story of the Hunger Games except it was very predictable. I didn't see many twists. I liked Katniss as a main character for I think that she is strong-willed. Other than that I think the book was a great fast read. It was fun but it was a very quick read and I am reading the second one now "Catching Fire" So look out for the review on that one. After I will do a review on "The Mirador" Which I have been meaning to read. Anyways if you've read it, drop a comment and let everyone know if you like it or not! For me my ratings go as follows.


Writing Style:

Plot:

Execution:

Overall Rating:


2 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I enjoy some first person novels, such as Parker's Spenser books, but I really dislike present tense. I usually don't continue reading a book when I discover it's in prsent tense. I guess it's because it doesn't seem real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I know people usually choose present tense because it's the 'action' voice but it really depends on opinions and the way its written I think.

    ReplyDelete